Disney has released 8 new character images and descriptions from Frankenweenie. Directed by Tim Burton, the movie is based on the original short film that Burton created back in 1984. The movie will be released on October 5th in 3D and features a voice cast that includes Charlie Tahan, Winona Ryder, Martin Short, Catherine O’Hara and Martin Landau.
“From creative genius Tim Burton (‘Alice in Wonderland,’ ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’) comes ‘Frankenweenie,’ a heartwarming tale about a boy and his dog. After unexpectedly losing his beloved dog Sparky, young Victor harnesses the power of science to bring his best friend back to life—with just a few minor adjustments. He tries to hide his home-sewn creation, but when Sparky gets out, Victor’s fellow students, teachers and the entire town all learn that getting a new ‘leash on life’ can be monstrous.”
Here are the character descriptions and images, thanks to Empire:
- Victor Frankenstein is a clever, industrious 10-year-old. He lives with his parents and dog, Sparky, and immerses himself in making films and inventing in his attic workshop. When Sparky dies in a car accident, Victor uses scientific ingenuity to bring him back to life
- Sparky is a playful bull terrier whose sense of curiosity is matched only by his owner, Victor. Sparky enjoys chasing after balls and starring in Victor’s homemade movies. He exudes tons of energy and enthusiasm, which even his untimely death doesn’t diminish.
- Mr. Frankenstein is a travel agent, who likes to dispense roundabout advice to his son. He is proud of Victor’s accomplishments, but is concerned he doesn’t have any friends other than Sparky. He encourages him to join the baseball team. Mr. Frankenstein has a playful and loving relationship with his wife, Victor’s mom, who encourages her son’s scientific pursuits, even when her kitchen appliances end up in his attic lab.
- Elsa Van Helsing is a soulful and somber classmate of Victor. She lives next door with her tyrant uncle, Mayor Burgemeister, who forces her to be this year’s “Little Dutch Girl” at the town’s celebration of Dutch Day. Elsa also has a beloved pet, her poodle Persephone, and truly empathizes with Victor when he loses Sparky.
- Persephone is a perfectly groomed black poodle. She is fiercely loyal to Elsa, her owner. When Persephone and Sparky first meet in the backyard, the attraction is instantaneous and electrifying.
- Toshiaki is over-achieving and mega-competitive. He delights in beating Victor at his own game and like a power-hungry mad scientist, Toshiaki will stop at nothing to win the top prize in the school’s science fair—even if it means stealing Victor’s ideas to do it.
- Bob is a momma’s boy, the brawn to Toshiaki’s brains. He is never mean-spirited, but he’s easily led and gullible. Bob follows Toshiaki everywhere, but is the first one to run to Victor for help when he gets in over his head.
- Bob’s Mom is a plump, suburban housewife who is prone to panic and hysteria when things go awry. She has very simple, stereotypical views on life. She dotes on her son Bob and believes her actions, though often misguided, are in his best interest.
Learn more about Frankenweenie by checking out our recent coverage: