In the latest installment of our Indie Spotlight, we have the third episode of Ghost Trek, news of indie horror acquisitions, a free online horror movie festival, and more:
Ghost Trek Episode 3: GHOST TREK follows the Paranormal Underworld Detective Society (PUDS) as they investigate haunts across the U.S. and abroad between tanning beds, babes, body-building, and bong hits — all the while risking life and limb capturing the undead and unexplained on video.
The team is lead by Dr. Zeke Wallace (Michael Melendez), a good-looking ex-chiropractor turned paranormal investigator, his ex-girlfriend and show’s producer, Shawna Leibowitz (Gia Allemand), Scary Carrie Carmichael (Christy Johnson), the “Living-Dead Roller-Girl” case manager, Barry ‘The Bomb’ Burkowski and Joey ‘Mayhem’ Moscone affectionately called The Goon Squad (Colt Cabana and Disco Inferno), The fashion-conscious psychic Guy Swisher (Brett Gentile), the team’s tech specialists and devoted stoners are Robbie (Michael Bortone) and Ray-Ray (Jonny Fairplay), Weasel the kleptomaniac “emo” cameraman (Kevin Johnson), and newbie Jules Partridge (Julia Bullock) the “investigator in training”.
Watch the first two episodes at: http://dailydead.com/indie-spotlight-34/
Gravitas Ventures’ Horror Acquisitions: “With the frightful season in full swing, Gravitas Ventures has announced its upcoming horror acquisitions for October and November as part of their ongoing Gravitas Horror release schedule. Gravitas Horror programs 10 hours worth of horror content each month and has released over 250 horror titles in the past 2 years. A film released within the Gravitas Horror offering is guaranteed to reach 100 million VOD homes with cable, satellite and telco operators & iTunes, Vudu, Amazon and Sony Playstation, among others.
Gravitas President, Michael Murphy, whose company was recently named to Inc. Magazine’s 500 fastest growing private company list two years in a row, believes there is a strong thirst for these horror titles in the VOD landscape. “We release 100 horror films a year into more than 100 million homes. Video on Demand allows the films of new directors to have a life today, and as technology evolves…an ‘after-life’ as well,” says Murphy.
Their acquisitions team previously attended Shriekfest, Screamfest, and the LA Horror Film Festival to seek out new content and plan to attend AFM, Sundance & SXSW in the coming months.
New Gravitas VOD titles that will play around Halloween this year include:
- 10/2 – “DUST UP” – starring “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” alum Amber Benson
- 10/9 – “BLOODY BLOODY BIBLE CAMP” – slated to screen at the LA Horror Film Festival
- 10/26 – “IT’S IN THE BLOOD” – starring Lance Henricksen, which recently won ‘Best Thriller’ at Shriekfest
- 11/1 – “THE AFFLICTED” – starring Leslie Easterbrook and Kane Hodder
- 11/13 – “THANKSKILLING 3” – the first film to skip its own sequel features a fowl-mouthed turkey carving up victims as he searches for that last remaining DVD of “ThanksKilling 2,” which is his key to world domination
Other films currently in release include: “BAD MEAT”, “LOST LAKE,” “CROPSEY,” “THE COFFIN,” “AHH ZOMBIES,” “ANNIVERSARY OF SHALLOW CREEK,” and “DEAD MATTER”.”
Watch Ouija This Halloween: “Based upon a true Ouija story the movie is about five young people who play with a Ouija board and attract the attention of the malevolent Ouija demon ZoZo. The film is based on widely reported real experiences with this ancient and malevolent spirit that attaches itself to people exclusively through Ouija boards.”
The movie will be screening online for free this Halloween. For more details, visit: http://livescifi.tv/2012/10/watch-ouija-movie-online/
Free Online Horror Film Festival: “Zombies, maniacs, slashers, stalkers, hot girls and Comedian Tom Green headline the first ever online “Halloween Horror Movie Film Festival.” The festival features films by some of the best young up-and-coming directors and producers in Hollywood, whose work can be seen on “The Walking Dead,” “Funny or Die” and “Machinima.”
- “TOM GREEN KILLS THE WALKING DEAD” Starring Tom Green. Produced by James Sweet and Chuck Meré. It’s 1:30 a.m. in a parking lot of a comedy club with Tom Green and a baseball bat… suddenly a zombie attacks you… what do you do?! You kill the bastard!
- “LOVE STRUCK DEAD” directed by Chuck Meré. Produced by Chris Mills and Executive Produced by James Sweet. What are zombies? Are they autonomous monsters? Or are they more conscious of what is happening to them? Love Struck Dead is a story of never-ending true love that examines what it might be like to be separated from your soulmate, and reunited, by death.
- “BLOCKHEAD” directed by John Francis Conway. John, an old mason who suffers from a disease after years of working with concrete, is locked up in the family bookstore. His younger brother Dave, who takes care of John and the bookstore, moonlights as an accomplice to John’s murderous habits.
- “THE WINTER STALKER” Directed / Written / Produced by: Stephen Reedy.
- “SKID RONIN” directed by Cig Neutron. Skid is a homeless drifter whose only friend is a stuffed dragon. See what happens when a gang of punks takes everything from someone who has nothing… it’s going to get bloody!
- “PANIC, FEAR” directed by John Francis Conway. When a women gets up to get a midnight snack, her most feared nightmare comes true.
- “SAMARITAN” directed by Charles Wills. When a man decides to be a good samaritan and helps a stranded woman, he doesn’t realize it’s the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse.
To watch the short films, visit: http://www.youtube.com/zombiegoboomtv
30 Nights of Paranormal Activity With The Devil Inside the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: “Scream with laughter in this found footage parody- Dana’s father was sent to a psychiatric hospital after he killed the entire cast of The Artist while an exorcism was being performed on him. She continues on with her life -gets married, has kids and moves into the same (haunted) house she grew up in. But now she must battle the demons which haunted her father before her.”
This movie will be released to Blu-ray/DVD on January 8th and you can watch the official trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diHGPeypJ-k&feature=youtu.be
Watch 6:14- “6:14” is about a man (Ethan Embry) woken from his sleep by a phone call, with a stranger (Michael Ironside) on the other line. Puzzled by the call and the peculiar look of the room he’s in, he leaves his bed to inspect his surroundings. Unfortunately, his curiosity leads to a deadly encounter that he cannot escape. Just as he believes this to be the end, he wakes up, with the phone ringing again…
With this interactive short, you can experience reality juxtaposed against the main story of the character’s dreams through your cell phone. Hear the screams of someone in the real world transposed as a fire alarm going off in your dream… if you dare.
For more information, watch the trailer at: http://youtu.be/WcLyQuo80ec You can watch the short at: http://rides.tv/6-14/
Shambles: “In the spirit of Halloween, Agent 23 (MC for GFE), has released a new music video for “Shambles” featuring scores of resurrected corpses, a bulldozer, a spear gun, the token hot chick and other campy zombie movie references. “Shambles,” a track from Agent 23’s recently release solo album Monkeywrench, was filmed during Asheville, North Carolina’s Zombiewalk in 2011 and explores the dark and sometimes obvious world of the undead.
As an enthusiastic fan of zombie movies, Agent 23 makes lyrical reference to George Romero (Night of the Living Dead), Danny Boyle (28 Days Later), Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), Sam Raimi (The Evil Dead), Michael Jackson (Thriller) and more. While paying homage to the overall genre of horror movies, “Shambles” also draws humor from zombie movie clichés.”
Watch the video at: http://youtu.be/j_ht4Y5ukJs
The Gothic Blue Book, The Revenge Edition: “Burial Day Books, a boutique publisher of supernatural horror, presents its second short story collection this October. The Gothic Blue Book, The Revenge Edition is a collection of short stories and poems that resurrect the spirit of the Gothic Blue Book. Gothic Blue Books were short fictions popular in the 18th and 19th century. They were descendants of the chap book trade. The Gothic Blue Book, The Revenge Edition is a collection of short stories and poems written by established and emerging horror authors that honor the Gothic story. Misery, fear, despair, regret and dread are highlighted in this collection, stirring old ghosts, witches, and awakening death. The authors in this collection weave together brilliant tales of terror celebrating the history of the Gothic story with a new twist.”
Learn more at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SD618A