We recently posted an article with a Necronomicon pizza recipe and a number of our readers went on to make their own. Last year, a Necronomicon cake photo popped up online, but there were no additional details from the person that created it. Thankfully, we were able to get in touch with Loura Hodson, who provided us with additional photos of the cake and the recipe so you can make one of your own:
- Preheat oven gas mark 3 or equiv (325°F 162°C)
1) 1lb self raising flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder (if want chocolate swap some flour for coco powder and vanilla essence not needed)
2) 10 oz baking margarine or butter, 10 oz sugar, half a cup of golden syrup (all melted together warm, but not hot)
3) 4 eggs, 300 ml (1 and 1/4 cups) milk/vanilla essence/food color (red looks awesome and so does green)
- Mix together (possibly whilst chanting)
- Pour into greaseproof papered rectangular baking tray. It will rise quite a lot so make sure it's only half full.
- Keep it at gas mark 3 for 45 mins.
- Whilst waiting for cake to bake and cool down make the teeth (roll icing balls in fingers till pointy both ends) and make fairly soft buttercream (icing sugar + the same marg or butter used in the cake + either vanilla essence/food colour or coco powder).
- Once cake is cooled, cut along the slab lengthways lift off top layer and pipe in filling place the top layer back on and make sure cake is fairly even.
- Cover that bad boy in buttercream, use loads of it.
- Make bulges for mouth/eyebrows/eyes with extra white icing and also add white icing strip around one side (to make the pages). Then brown icing to cover the rest of the cake. Gently cut slits over eyes so they show through underneath and use your hands to distort the brown using to it looks distressed like pulled skin, enhance this by wetting the whole cake a bit then adding black and gold food coloring.
- Rim the eyes with yellow piping icing and use the rounded end of a paint brush to make holes for the (now dry and hard) teeth to go in and drag the end of the paintbrush over the wet food colour to make veins.
- Place it in the fridge and then under your mothers bed room to scare the living daylights out of her
Of course, you'll want to customize this recipe to fit your needs and individual tastes. If any of our readers give this a try, email us with photos of your creation and we'll feature you in an upcoming article.
We want to give a big thanks to Loura Hodson for the recipe and additional photos. You can view more of her creations at: http://www.facebook.com/loura.hodson
Want to give a Necronomicon pizza a try? Visit our recent feature at: http://dailydead.com/make-your-own-evil-dead-necronomicon-pizza/