It’s a relatively quiet week for home entertainment releases, but Tuesday is playing host to one of my favorite films of the year, Ready or Not, which makes December 3rd feel like an early Christmas to this writer. Scream Factory is showing some love to John Carpenter’s Big Trouble in Little China with multiple editions (including the standard Collector’s Edition as well as the absolutely gorgeous limited edition Steelbook), and Konga, one of my favorite cult films (thank you Terror in the Aisles!) is headed to Blu on Tuesday, courtesy of Kino Lorber.
Other Blu-ray and DVD releases for December 3rd include Boar, Christmas Presence, Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season, Game of Thrones: The Complete Series, and 1 Must Fall.
Big Trouble in Little China: Collector’s Edition/Limited Edition Steelbook (Scream Factory, Blu-ray)
Kurt Russell (Escape from New York, The Hateful Eight) stars as Jack Burton, a tough-talking truck driver whose life goes into a supernatural tailspin when his best friend's fiancée is kidnapped in John Carpenter’s BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. Jack, who suddenly finds himself in a murky, danger-filled world beneath San Francisco's Chinatown, where Lo Pan, a 2,000-year-old magician, mercilessly rules an empire of spirits. Facing down a host of unearthly terrors, Jack battles through Lo Pan's dark domain in a full-throttle, action-riddled ride to rescue the girl. On December 3, 2019, SCREAM FACTORY™ is thrilled to present Big Trouble in Little China Collector’s Edition Two-Disc Blu-ray set. Directed by Carpenter (Escape from New York, The Fog), this action-packed cult film also stars Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City), James Hong (Blade Runner), and Dennis Dun (Prince of Darkness). A must-have for loyal fans and movie collectors, this definitive collector’s edition contains bountiful bonus content, featuring over four hours of brand-new interviews with the cast and crew, new audio commentary, and much more!
- NEW Audio Commentary with producer Larry Franco
- NEW Audio Commentary with special effects artist Steve Johnson, moderated by filmmaker Anthony C. Ferrante
- Audio Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
- Isolated Score
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Vintage Audio Interview with John Carpenter
- Electronic Press Kit - interviews and profiles
- Gag Reel
- Music Video
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Extended Ending
- Photo Galleries – movie stills, posters and lobby cards, publicity photos and behind-the-scenes photos
- NEW You’re the Hero – an interview with actor Dennis Dun
- NEW The Soul of Lo Pan – an interview with actor James Hong
- NEW Able to Be Myself – an interview with actor Donald Li
- NEW The Tao of Thunder – an interview with actor Carter Wong
- NEW The Tao of Rain– an interview with actor Peter Kwong
- NEW The Hatchet Man Speaks – an interview with actor Al Leong
- NEW Damn Wiley Prescott – an interview with writer W.D. Richter
- NEW It Was A Western Ghost Story – an interview with writer Gary Goldman
- NEW The Poetry of Motion – an interview with associate producer/martial arts choreographer James Lew
- NEW Into the Mystic Night – an interview with The Coupe De Ville’s member Nick Castle
- NEW Since We Were Kids – an interview with second unit director/The Coupe De Ville’s member Tommy Lee Wallace
- NEW Love and Art – a conversation with movie poster artist Drew Struzan
- Return to Little China – an interview with director John Carpenter
- Being Jack Burton - an interview with actor Kurt Russell
Carpenter and I – an interview with director of photography Dean Cundey
- Producing Big Trouble – an interview with producer Larry Franco
- Staging Big Trouble - an interview with stuntman Jeff Imada
- Interview with visual effects artist Richard Edlund
- Vintage Featurette
Boar (RLJE Films, DVD)
In the harsh Australian outback lives a beast with a ruthless, driving need for blood and destruction. It’s brutal, it’s bloodthirsty, it’s boar.
Christmas Presence (RLJE Films, DVD)
When someone suddenly disappears from their holiday celebration, a group of friends soon discover that a sinister evil is coming for them all.
Konga: Special Edition (KL Studio Classics, Blu-ray)
Lost in the African jungles for over a year, Dr. Charles Decker (Michael Gough, The Crimson Cult) has returned to England with Konga, a baby chimpanzee. Disappearing into his lab, the mad botanist begins work on what he believes will be his greatest achievement. Having witnessed a Baganda witchdoctor’s use of a rare carnivorous plant to produce accelerated animal growth, Decker injects Konga with the same serum—then hypnotizes the gorilla-sized chimp into brutally murdering his enemies! But when the berserk ape overdoses on the serum and grows to gargantuan size, suddenly the city of London comes under attack—and only the British army can reckon with Konga’s uncontrollable rage. John Lemont (The Frightened City) directed this monstrously enjoyable cult classic.
- Brand New 2K Master
- Radio Spot
- Image Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
Ready or Not (20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Blu/Digital & DVD)
The sanctity of marriage goes straight to hell when a young bride (Samara Weaving) competes in a time-honored tradition with her new husband (Mark O’Brien) and his insanely rich and eccentric Le Domas family (Adam Brody, Henry Czerny, and Andie MacDowell). The bride’s wedding night takes a turn for the worst when she realizes she is at the center of a lethal game of ‘Hide and Seek’ and must fight her not-so-loveable in-laws for her own survival.
- Let the Games Begin: The Making of READY OR NOT
Part 1: A Devil’s Bargain
Part 2: The Le Domas Name — A Family Brand
Part 3: ’Til Death Do Us Part
- Gag Reel
- Audio Commentary by Radio Silence and Samara Weaving
ALSO AVAILABLE THIS WEEK:
1 Must Fall (Gravitas Ventures, Blu-ray & DVD)
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (HBO, 4K Ultra HD/Blu, Blu/Digital & DVD)
Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (HBO, Blu-ray)