There's a definite split between fans of The Walking Dead TV series. While the show may have originally planned to have the focus of the show be on Rick, Shane and Daryl are fan favorites and have been getting plenty of screen time. In a recent interview, Robert Kirkman talks about Shane's future on the show.

**Spoiler Warning**

Readers of the comic book know that Shane dies early in the series, but the second season has already shown that the TV series will not always follow the comic in terms of who lives and dies:

"From the comic book standpoint, he's living on borrowed time, but the beauty of the show is that we can change things up... The storyline with Otis and all of the different things that are happening on the farm because of Shane's presence are a pretty clear indication that this guy is a pretty good catalyst for story,"

The first part of the interview isn't anything different from what we've heard before, but the following comments seem to indicate that Shane may survive season 2 and beyond:

"I certainly don't feel like he's worn out his welcome just yet. The thought of seeing Shane interact with a possible future prison storyline and interacting with other things that happened in the comic book is absolutely super appealing for me."

Is Robert Kirkman using this interview as an opportunity for misdirection? It doesn't sound like it. Shane is very popular among fans and the writers are aware of this. How long Shane will stay on the show remains to be seen, but a season 2 death looks to be a little less likely after these comments from Robert Kirkman. What do you think? Do you want to see Shane continue on past season 2?

Source: TV Guide

12 responses to “The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman talks Shane’s Future”

1. Heath says:

I’d like to think that nobody is safe in the show like they are in the comic, but with season 2 spending five episodes searching for Sophia I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody dies ever again on the show.

2. MJ says:

I hear that.  Obviously we are going to see Sophia alive again at some point.  Yawn.

3. Anonymous says:

Shane is the best character on the show!!!

Do not kill him off or im not watching nemore!!!!

p.s. dont kill Darryl of either

4. Holly Dorsey says:

Keep Shane on. He is awesome! I love the different direction the series is taking. The book and the series are both great. I am a big fan of both. I really enjoy Lori, too. Try not to let what happened in the book happen to her, PLEEEEZ.

5. MaineLady207 says:

I want to see Sophia and Rick’s friend when Season 1 happened.. As far as Shane,…I want to see him on the show more.. he has a lot of drama for the show right now to continue into a Season 3!

6. Please! don’t kill off Glenn. i well Cry.. i well ever watch it again, i
    LOVE The Walking dead and i Love eveyone on it, Robert Kirkman and
    pretty much eveyone~…and Please! continue into a Season 3! <33

7. kyle rogers says:

shane needs to die. The comics are so much better than this crappy show. I’m done watching it.

8. darren says:

They won’t kill Shane. Comic book readers are more tolerant that tv watchers. Notice that the black character Tyrese in the comics had the central role of Shane. But now he’s T-Dog and basically a token. He had 9 words in the midseason finale. I counted them! They don’t want a leading black character. Period.

9. michael winker says:

i bet you feel pretty stupid after seeing the season mid sean finale

10. MJ says:

No, not stupid: pleased!  I’m so glad they went that way, because after all the time that had passed, it was more plausible.  Also, more interesting to have that final scene in the mid season finale.  My faith is restored :)

11. Shane is my favorite character.  He is so misunderstood in the show. He is an easy person to hate, and I love defending him because hes not a bad guy. Hes just made some not good choices. I want shane to live past season 2 and beyond. I have read all the comics and Shane’s character needs to evolve more. What would shane be like with tyrese around ? (another strong leader) or the birth of the baby (could maybe be shanes)?  He needs to stay around forever in my opinion. He is ricks opposite.