*Updated with the reported release date* "Do you know anything about witches?" Having been shaken to my core by the Goblin score while watching the 4K restoration of Suspiria at this year's Flashback Weekend in Chicago, I highly recommend you seek out the remastered screening if it plays anywhere near you (or several states away—it's that good). If you can't make it to one of the screenings, though, it's coming out on a collectible SteelBook Blu-ray from Synapse Films, and DiabolikDVD.com has revealed the official release date.
According to multiple sources, including DiabolikDVD, the Suspiria Blu-ray SteelBook is slated for a December 19th release from Synapse Films. We have a look at the previously announced special features below, and keep an eye on DiabolikDVD, Amazon, and Synapse Films' official website for more information. In case you missed it, check out Heather Wixson's review of the dazzling 4K restoration. Will you be adding it to your home media collection?
From Synapse Films: "Dario Argento’s masterpiece of horror comes to home video from Synapse Films in an exclusive new 4K restoration from the original uncut, uncensored 35mm Italian camera negative and with the original 4.0 English surround sound, for the first time EVER! Painstakingly restored over the past three years, Synapse Films has created the ultimate special edition of SUSPIRIA with the supervision and approval of the film’s Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli, and loaded with a separate Blu-ray disc of amazing extras! SUSPIRIA is presented in its original glory for its 40th Anniversary!
The set will include two Blu-rays + 1 CD. The film will be on its own Blu-ray disc, to maximize the quality for both picture and sound, with most extra features being on a separate Blu-ray. The set will be Region A locked.
Synapse Films is only accepting orders for shipping within North America.
WANT TO SEE OUR NEW 4K REMASTER IN A CINEMA? HERE IS A LINK TO THE SCREENING SCHEDULE OF OUR RESTORED VERSION IN A TRUE 4K DCP PRESENTATION WITH 4.0 SURROUND SOUND: 4K DCP SCREENING SCHEDULE
Here are the announced SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Limited edition of only 6000 units produced
- Exclusive Steelbook packaging and collector's o-card sleeve, featuring artwork from Malleus, Van Orton Design, Juan José Saldarriaga & Chris MacGibbon
- Three disc [Two Blu-rays + One CD] limited collector’s edition containing a new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli
- Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96 Khz/24-bit audio
- Italian 5.1 surround sound mix
- Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle & Troy Howarth
- Do You Know Anything About Witches? - 30 minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
- Suzy in Nazi Germany – Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
- A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA – All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
- Olga’s Story – Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
- Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
- Special Collector Edition Booklet containing an American Cinematographer interview with Luciano Tovoli, liner notes by Derek Botelho and restoration notes by Vincent Pereira & Don May, Jr.
- “International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from U.S. release version
- Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
- Newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles for the English language version
- Newly translated, removable English subtitles for the Italian language version
- Exclusive CD remaster of Goblin’s SUSPIRIA motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1977 soundtrack release."